We’re crossing our fingers that it doesn’t rain Saturday; in addition to all the cool Northern Virginia events, the 43rd Annual Smithsonial Kite Festival is taking place 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Washington Monument.
Here’s info from the Web site (www.kitefestival.org):
Rain date: Sunday, March 29, 2009
If it is raining Friday evening, a decision will be made early Saturday morning about moving the Festival to the rain date. Please check back then.
As always, the festival features three competitions. For those who build their own kites, you are invited to enter the Handmade Kite competition. Registration for the hand-made kite competition takes place from 10 a.m. to 12 noon on the day of the festival. Look for the Judging and Registration tent.
Teams may also enter into two additional heart-stopping events- the sixth annual Smithsonian Hot Tricks competition, and the always popular Rokkaku Kite battle will be both held at the end of the day. Watch kite flyers strut their stuff on the field dazzling the crowd with trick kite moves and thrilling competition. Registration Opens at 10 a.m.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Depending on wind and weather, this schedule is flexible.
* 10 a.m. – Opening Ceremony/Registration begins
* 10:15 a.m. – Kitemaker/Master Kitemaker Competition Begins
* 12 noon – KitemakerMaster Kitemaker Competition Breaks / Children’s Competition Begins
* 12:30 p.m. – Registration Ends
* 1 p.m. – Children’s Competition Ends / Children’s Award Ceremony / Kitemaker/Master Kitemaker Competition Resumes
* 2 p.m. – Competition is completed/Hot Tricks Showdown
* 3 p.m. – Rokkaku Challenge
Kitemaker/Master Kitemaker Awards Ceremony Begins