It’s time for some spring cleaning — of the Potomac! Although the official Potomac Watershed Cleanup will take place April 5, cleanups will be happening in the weeks before and after. Here in NoVa, the Fairfax County Park Authority will host a cleanup from 9-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 29.
Individuals, students, families, scouts and other community groups will roll up their sleeves and remove tires, bed springs, bottles, cans and other debris from their local creeks and streams. Data gathered about the types of debris found in the parks will be shared with the foundation.
Participants are advised to wear boots, old clothes and to bring gloves. Trash bags and appreciation will be provided.
Parks that are participating and waterways being cleaned include:
* Frying Pan Farm Park (Horsepen Run)
* Hidden Oaks Nature Center, (703) 941-1065 (Roundtree Park – Holmes Run)
* Hidden Pond Nature Center (703) 451-9588 (Pohick Creek)
* Huntley Meadows Park, (703) 768-2525 (Little Hunting Creek)
* Riverbend Visitor Center, (703) 759-9018 (Potomac River)
* Sully Historic Site, (703) 437-1794 (Cain’s Branch)
* Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, (703) 631-0013, repeated 1 to 3p.m. (Flatlick Branch, Big Rocky Run, Cub Run and Frog Branch)