Just watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the IMAX theater at the Udvar-Hazy center, and had some good tips if you’re planning to go:
* First, don’t bother buying your tickets online, unless it gives you an option to print out your tickets from your computer. On arriving at the theater, we had to stand in line with everyone else, whether they were buying or picking up tickets, so it doesn’t save you any time at all. Plus you won’t have to pay the online payment fees.
* Don’t bring any bags or purses, that will delay your entry into the museum to get to the theater because you have to go through security to get your bags checked.
* If you want to save yourself the $12 parking fee by arriving after 4 p.m., be prepared to sit pretty far down the theater unless you’re going by yourself or just one other person. Our party of five couldn’t get seats together above the first five levels (which are super close to the screen), and we had to split up. We got into the theater at 4:17 p.m.
* If your party does have to split up and you have little ones, have the adults sit on the lower levels–it’s pretty loud down there.
* Don’t be tempted to sit in the handicapped seating at the very top, even if the movie is sold out. You’ll get kicked out. Yup, we tried.
All in all, though, a very enjoyable experience, although this latest installment in the theatrical series pales in comparison to the others. But all Harry Potter movies should be watched on IMAX, I think.